(vIndianz April 9 2010): Following the Dantewada massacre by the Maoists, Home Minister P Chidambaram offered to quit his post. However, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh rejected his resignation, said PMO sources.
According to reports quoting the PMO sources, the Home Minister gave his resignation in writing but the Prime Minister rejected it.
Chidambaram is said to have offered to quit in a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi soon after the massacre of 75 personnel from CRPF’s 62nd Battalion and one Chhattisgarh policemen by Maoists in Dantewada on Tuesday.
Speaking at a CRPF function in New Delhi, Chidambaram took full responsibility for the attack, Chidambaram said the “buck stops at my desk. “I have been asked directly or indirectly where the buck stops for what happened in Dantewada. I have no hesitation saying the buck stops at my desk,” he has been quoted as saying. Chiadambaram said: “I accept full responsibility for what happened in Dantewada. Immediately on my return from Chhattisgarh, I called on the Prime Minister and gave it in writing that I accept full responsibility for what happened and I think I will stop there.”
- Dantewada not fully in our control: Raman Singh – Times of India
- Chhattisgarh announces judicial probe into Dantewada arson – Sify
- Chidambaram’s new plea to Naxals
- Medecins Sans Frontieres, Red Cross treat Maoists: Dantewada SP – Times of India
- Second strike in 24 hours: Maoists kill 10 securitymen in Chhattisgarh – Indian Express
- Chidambaram to visit Manipur to review law and order – The Hindu
- Binayak convicted, cannot be on panel: Raman writes to PM – Indian Express
- BJP demands apology from Prime Minister on CVC appointment – NDTV.com
- PM, Home Minister avoid ‘saffron terror’ remark – Express Buzz
- Buddhadeb writes to Chidambaram on ‘Trinamool-Maoist nexus’ – NDTV.com